Former Director, Food and Nutrition Division
Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO)
JOHN R. LUPIEN
- 1999- present - Adjunct Associate Professor in the Nutrition Department,
College of Health and Human Development, Pennsylvania State
- 1998-present - Adjunct Professor of Food Science at the University of Massachusetts, USA.
- 2007-present – Guest Professor, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, China
Food and Nutrition Division,
Food and Agriculture Organization of the U.N. (FAO)
- 1990-November 1999 - Director of the FAO Food and Nutrition Division.
- 1986-1990 - Chief, Food Quality and Standards Service within the FAO Food and Nutrition Division, and Secretary, FAO/WHO Codex Alimentarius Commission
- 1970-1980 - FAO Nutrition Officer (1970-71) and Senior Nutrition Officer (1973-80) in Rome and as an FAO Project Manager in Zambia (1971-73)
U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
- 1980-1986 - Director, International Affairs Staff, U.S. Food and Drug Administration, Washington, DC
- 1960-1970 - FDA investigator in San Francisco, California (1960-64); Brownsville, Texas (1964-65); and as an FDA Compliance Officer in Washington, DC (1966-70)
Dr. Lupien carried out his undergraduate and graduate studies at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst, Mass., USA, and holds a doctoral degree From Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand and a Masters degree in Public Health from the University of Las Palmas, Spain. He has worked in nutrition, food quality and food safety since 1960.
In his FDA and FAO work Dr. Lupien was involved in extensive food and nutrition-related policy formulation work. He also carried out in-depth nutrition, food quality and food safety surveys and prepared and implemented nutrition-related projects in about 50 countries. As Director of the FAO Food and Nutrition Division he supervised 70 professionals and support staff, oversaw the technical organization of the December 1992 Rome Joint FAO/WHO International Conference on Nutrition, and coordinated FAO's overall nutrition programme. He has extensive experience in national and international food standards setting and implementation work, and has written and spoken extensively on these topics.
Dr. Lupien chaired the Scientific Advisory Committee of the European Food Information Council from 2000-2008, represents the International Union of Food Science and Technology in international meetings on food and agriculture, and has served on the Monash University, Melbourne, Australia advisory board on food quality, safety and nutrition.
Click here to return to the conference programme